Sunday, May 24, 2009

peach pie



2 cups of flour (approximately), 1 stick of margarine, 1 teaspoon of salt and a little ice water. No wonder pie crust is not good for you!

Last night I made a pie. My husband asked, "Why didn't you just buy a crust?" Good question. You can buy ready made crusts, pie dough rounds or pie dough mix in boxes or pie dough in biscuit tins and they are all good. So why make one?

I'm just fascinated by the idea of taking a few simple ingredients and creating something really special. Also, I found an old pastry blender in the drawer which renewed my enthusiasm for homemade biscuits and pie crusts, etc.

Anyway, as you might be able to tell by the quantity of ingredients, this was supposed to be a two crust pie. But when I began to roll it out, it was still a little crumbly even though I had rolled it in a ball and chilled it in a baggie for a while. It was not rolling out properly. The one thing I learned from my past attempts at biscuits is that continuing to try to make it pretty is what makes it tough as shoe leather so I just put it in the pie plate and used what should have been the top crust to build an edge around it.

For the filling I used two cans of sliced peaches in syrup which were on sale. I added some cinnamon, a little extra brown sugar, a pat of butter and a couple of tablespoons of tapioca spinkled on top for thickening. I cooked the filling on top of the stove and pre-baked the pie shell for 10 minutes before putting the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes more (at 400 degrees).
Anyway, it was GOOD! I even liked the rustic look. With a little ice cream on top. Ymmm. The crust was flaky! And it actually had a flavor! Enough success to make me try again soon. Already had another piece of pie for breakfast. (See picture above).

No comments:

Post a Comment