Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Florida Summer Day from Long Ago

Here I am about 1957 at age 8 or 9 with my cousin, John, and my brother, Rick.
We were visiting my Aunt Nellie in Tampa, Florida very near to where I live now.

 Inside Aunt Nellie's house with my baby cousin, Denny

Rick on Aunt Nellie's porch

 Me, Mom and my baby cousin in Aunt Nellie's front yard.
Mom's hair was in pin curls, but check out what a tiny waist she had.

In 1956 or 1957 my family drove from Oklahoma to Tampa, Florida for a summer vacation. Tampa was a very exotic location to me with the tropical rainstorms, palm trees, and beaches. Aunt Nellie's kitchen was a converted Florida room with slatted glass jalousie windows. There was a banana tree by the kitchen window. I told my granddaughter, Jill, that I had pictures of myself when I was her age. So here they are.

2 comments:

  1. Florida is still an exotic location to me. Gee whiz, your Mom's waist was so teeny. Don't you love that swimsuit and stroller?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! I think I had your same bathing suit! Isn't it fun telling them about when we were their age?

    ReplyDelete